Detective Mindy is the second half of the twenty-fourth episode of Ready Jet Go!.
When Mitchell’s mother declares the kitchen counter a “black hole” because she can’t find her sunglasses and she’s sure she left them there, Mitchell takes up the case of the black hole kitchen counter. As he’s investigating, one by one, all the other kids get involved in his process. As they learn about what a black hole really is, Mitchell discovers that science holds enough mysteries to keep him busy for many years.
- Jet Propulsion
- Sean Rafferty
- Sydney Skelley
- Sunspot Propulsion
- Celery Propulsion
- Mindy Melendez
- Mitchell Peterson
- Mr. Peterson
Black holes are strange little holes in space that are like vacuum cleaners that use gravity (instead of suction) to suck things in. A black hole is what remains when a massive star dies. They send out no light and have very strong gravity. Once a planet or star has been sucked into the black hole, it cannot escape, and compresses to a very small size.
- This episode has strong hints that Mindy and Mitchell might like each other, especially towards the end of the episode.
- While Mitchell is describing his case, a cereal box that resembles the popular Cap'n Crunch product line appears.
- At the end of the episode, Mitchell kneels down and says to Mindy: "I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship, Junior Detective Mindy", which is a reference to the famous quote from the film Casablanca.
- The official PBS description claims that Mitchell's mother declared the kitchen counter a black hole, but in the actual episode, it was Mitchell's father who declared the kitchen counter a black hole. Mrs. Peterson doesn't even appear in the episode.
- This episode shows Mitchell in a far more positive light than other episodes, where he acts rude and antagonistic towards the main cast.
- When Mitchell says "I will never understand Jet's dog, or is he a cat?", his mouth doesn't move.